May 20, 2018 Events Schedule
– Competing teams please take note
|6:30 am||Park opens and event organizers set up|
|7:00 am||Team registration|
|7:30 am||Taichi exercise and demonstration|
Dragon boat Eye-Dotting ceremony for good health and prosperity
Team captains meet with GWN
|8:10 am||Teams assemble for the first race|
|8:15 am||Lion Dance prior to first race|
|8:30 am||Horn blows signalling start of the competition|
|11:30 am||Welcome ceremony|
|11:45 am||RMD Okinawan drum dance|
|12:00 pm||HAY break dance performance|
|12:15 pm||Dragon Dance and martial arts|
|12:20 pm||End of qualifying bouts and beginning of 40 min lunch break|
|12:30 pm||Huichi Taiko Japanese drum performance|
Racing resumes and semi-final races begin
Origami at the Children’s Tent. Go and Majong at the Asian Games Tent.
|2:00 pm||Area 63 band performance|
|3:50 pm||Lion Dance|
|4:00 pm||Championship race|
|4:25 pm||National Anthem|
|4:30 pm||Awards Ceremony and Closing|
|5:00 pm||Clean up|
- The Taoist Taichi Society promotes the use of Taoist Tai Chi to promote good health.
- The Eye Dotting of the “Awakening the Dragon” event is an old ritual that is believed to protect people from evil spirits and ward off disease for the rest of the year.
- Hungry Asian Youngstaz (HAY) is a performance group from Hilltop, Ohio that has a passion for break dance.
- Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko combines dancing and karate forms with drumming, presenting an exciting blend of traditional and contemporary Okinawan music.
- Master Sen Gao, a Chinese National Wushu athlete and judge, performs the Dragon Dance.
- Eric “the Fish” Paton formed the Japanese drumming group Huichi Taiko after a year-long international Artist in Residency project in Ohio with the world’s foremost O-Daiko soloist, Eitetsu Hayashi.
- The Laoshi Gisa Rieske of the Ascending Sun Martial Arts Academy and the Shaolin Huiguang of Hillard OH team up to present the Lion Dance.
- Area 63 is a band based in Columbus, Ohio, that plays Filipino music.
- Patch Wetzel, founder of and president of PatchWorks Ministries in Johnstown, Ohio, sings the national anthem.